Inline skating is a fantastic hobby for kids – active, fun, and a great way to chill with your friends!
But it’s not a case of simply buying them a pair of inline skates and off they go – you’ll need to get some extras.
Kids need a variety of extra accessories and safety gear to remain protected and comfortable when they’re out skating. But what will they need?
We’ve compiled this handy list for your reference. Below you will find some recommendations of things that kids may need with their inline skates.
Read on to learn more.
Important Things To Think About
When it comes to selecting the correct accessories for your child’s inline skates, there are some important things you need to consider before you buy.
Here are some of the most critical in order:
Safety is always paramount when it comes to your children, and when we consider that inline skates have the potential for them to fall over or hit other people – this is more critical.
When selecting any safety gear though, you need to ensure that you get their size right.
Incorrectly fitting safety gear is pretty much pointless and can actually be harmful in some circumstances.
We recommend that you follow a measuring guide for specific safety equipment and clothing and always double-check if they are the right fit before your child goes skating.
There are many important pieces of safety equipment that your child may need, which we will list later in this guide.
However, for now, we will look at more things you should consider.
If your child is new to inline skating, you may wish to purchase some training equipment that could benefit the skill-level of your child.
Training gear is always a good idea anyway, but it could help your child right away, especially if they are not very confident on their skates to begin with.
You may wish to purchase a bag that you or your child can carry their inline skates in.
It’s actually a very good idea to do this because it can prevent the risk of cross-contamination from dirt (and worse!) from the ground to your hands.
Not only this, of course, you will not need to uncomfortably carry them individually – and it allows you to change footwear if necessary.
It goes without saying that everyone wants their own style, and this is no exception for your child with their inline skates!
There are plenty of accessories you can buy to let your child show off their personality.
Just be sure to check for safety features if you’re going to buy clothing or safety gear with cool patterns and designs.
Best Accessories For Your Child’s Inline Skates
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s take a look at these in much more detail!
Of course, you cannot let your child out on their inline skates without wearing a helmet!
Skating helmets are specifically designed to withstand impact and protect your child’s head and brain from injury upon falling.
An example of the best type of helmet to buy for inline skating is this one from Pro Tec.
It has the correct outer shell and goes all the way to the back of the head, so there are no worries about your child falling backward.
When purchasing a helmet, ensure that it complies with US safety standards (even better if the helmet is dual-certified), and always check your child’s helmet after every use, to inspect for any damage or possible breaks.
- CLASSIC SAFETY CERTIFIED SKATE HELMET: Professional quality helmet is perfect for skateboarding, biking, inline skating, and a variety of other sports
- PROTECTION FROM FALLS: High-impact ABS shell with certified EPS liner provides multiple impact protection based on ASTM F1493
- MOISTURE WICKING: Plush wrap on the liner wicks away moisture to prevent dripping sweat for greater focus and comfort
- COOLING VENTS: 11 large vents improve flow-through air channeling to keep the wearer cool during intense activity
- SIZE MEDIUM: Medium size helmet with an adjustable chin strap and a secure locking buckle provides an optimal fit
Skate padding is essential for your child’s safety if they are to fall.
Not only do these three accessories reduce the impact of the fall, and therefore reduce the pain that it could inflict – but they do more than that.
Many children fall in places like the playground, and whilst the fall is unpleasant, the worst thing is the risk of infection.
When the skin is broken and a wound is opened, the possibility of debris, such as dirt, stones, etc becoming lodged in the wound is high.
This means that the risk of the wound being infected is high too, and that can cause serious pain and discomfort to your child.
As a result, you can find many packages that sell all of these safety products together. TXJ for example sells this fantastic package which includes all of these safety precautions in one.
When purchasing these products, ensure you are aware of your child’s size and something that is comfortable for them. You don’t want them to take them off unnecessarily.
We have a detailed guide over here on the importance of wrist guards when skating or rollerblading.
- 【SIZE】: S fit for age 3-7 years, weight (55-88)Ib, M fit for age 8-14 years, weight (88-135)Ib, L fit for age 14 years above, weight (135-175)Ib, protective knee pads suitable for a girl, boys,...
- 【MATERIAL】:6 Pack protective gear adopts high quality curved PP shell, High-density thickening EVA, which effectively buffers the external impact. which has good shock absorption and cushioning...
- 【ADJUSTABLE】: knee pads and elbow pads adopt upgrade Adjustable elastic straps and Velcro closures, Velcro can be attached to any part of the elastic band at will to ensure that it fits your knee...
- 【MULTIPLE SPORTS】: Suitable for Skateboard, Biking, Climbing, Cycling, Skating, rolling and Other Extreme Sports. The thickening design will be more comfortable and safe in Multi-sport.
- 【BEST GIFT FOR BOYS GIRLS】: It is a good choice as the gift for Children's Day, Birthday, Christmas, etc. Perfect for any girls, boys, youth, adult. It's a good present as children/kids/adult.
If your child is not exactly comfortable with going out on their inline skates just yet, you could try purchasing some training cones.
These can be an essential purchase for kids when it comes to their first pair of inline skates.
Not just for the basics, but for more complex movement – they can even make games using the cones and learn tricks!
Super Z cones are a great example of the type of cones that you could get. A bright red color that is easy to see on most surfaces and simple to clean and use again.
- Many sports require a lot of practice and training, and that is where these vibrant orange training cones come into the picture. Vivid and round cones come packed together for a portable and effective...
- Sports equipment for kids or sports equipment for men and women, these sports accessories are great for both outdoor sports and indoor sports. Cones are stackable for easy carring from place to place....
- These sports cones are made of durable orange plastic, easy to see thanks to the bright color. These make excellent soccer cones for use as a running course or a soccer goal post, agility cones,...
- Add these cones to your bag of fitness training equipment and speed training equipment to ensure you get the practive you need. Easy to carry as these cones come with a velcro strap to ensure this...
- Orange sports cones measure at 8" inches in diameter and stand 2" inches tall. Every order includes a total of 20 per package. Perfect for school P.E. teachers and storing them in with other gym...
As we mentioned earlier, it’s a really good idea to pick up an inline skate bag. There are lots of reasons why you should get an inline skate bag for your kid’s first pair of skates.
The first is a matter of hygiene and safety. Skates primarily are used outdoors and will go through a lot of… unpleasant things.
Bacteria can easily be transferred from your child’s skates to their hands, and this is dangerous.
While it’s always advised to wash your hands regularly, sometimes kids forget or are not near an area where this is possible. So, to keep them safe – a bag can carry the potentially dirty skates.
Not only this, it’s much easier for you or your child to carry the skates around with them, meaning they can wear their usual footwear – ideal for safety outside of their usual skating areas.
A bag like SKT HP produce is ideal for kids. This example comes in an array of colors that appeal to any child, with a strong zip and an adjustable pair of straps.
- Size - The size of the roller skate bag is 15.4 * 15 * 10 inches (39 * 37 * 26 cm).
- Large Capacity - You can put your roller skate into the large main bag up to a men's size 13,and protective gear, like knee pads, Helmet into another main pocket.
- High Quality - SKT HP inline skate skate bag with 1200D over rubber hardened nylon fabric, sturdy carry handle, adjustable shoulder straps, anti-friction padded feet to increase the life of the...
- Breathable Design - Both main pockets of the skate bag are designed with a breathable lattice, no need to worry about shoes smothered for a long time,and it helps the ice skates dry.
- Convenient - The side mesh pocket of our roller skating bag can hold towels, cups and other items, and the little front pocket can put your name card,making it easy to find your own skating bag.
Gloves are a great idea for your younger kids if they’re starting out in the skating world.
While arguably they are not as important a safety precaution as elbow pads and knee pads, they can be extremely important.
Sometimes, kids will put their hands up if they fall to stop them from falling onto their faces.
Once again, their hands could become cut and lead to an open wounds. Gloves will reduce this risk.
They won’t be restrictive either. Due to being fingerless, your child can still hold things as normal and be able to use their fingers for their normal tasks.
Take a look at these Paw Patrol gloves. They appeal to younger kids and they’re highly protective with a strong and comfortable grip and material.
The strap can be adjusted too depending on the size of your child’s hands.
- Safety for your child
- Knee & elbow caps built to withstand wear
- Adjustable strap system for a custom fit
- Gloves help protect little hands
Remaining hydrated is critical to our health and of course, the same applies to our children.
The difference is that children often forget to drink water, especially when they’re having fun with their friends!
To try to keep them safe and hydrated though, it’s always advisable to provide them with a water bottle, especially one that appeals to them, as they’re more likely to drink out of it.
Take this Spider-Man one for example. It has a fantastic design which is very appealing to kids who like this superhero, along with a flip straw and a locking spout cover.
This type of design is ideal for any kid, even if they are not into that genre, but you can likely find other designs like that!
- SIZE: This Zak stainless steel water bottle holds 15.5 ounces and measures 4.3 by 2.8 inches wide and 6 inches tall.
- MATERIAL: This sports water bottle is made of single-wall, break-resistant 18/8 stainless steel, which is durable and BPA-free. Hand washing is recommended; do not microwave.
- HYGIENIC SPOUT COVER: Keep the spout clean in the house or while you're traveling--the spout cover protects contact surfaces and has a flip-up lock that keeps it closed to prevent leaks. When it's...
- BUILT-IN-CARRYING LOOP: The lid has an integrated loop, so this travel water bottle is easy to take on the go. It also fits in most car cup holders, and won't leak when the spout cover is closed and...
- LIFESTYLE: Zak Designs water bottles make hydration fun! This Spidey and His Amazing Friends water bottle is great for any Spider-Man fan. The drinkware is fully reusable--no more disposable...
Sometimes, kids need a little extra help to get going with their new pair of inline skates. So one way to get their confidence up and get them on the right track is to use a skate trainer.
Skate trainers act as a stabilizer for their hands while they skate on the ground.
Many things like these help kids for their biggest milestones, like walkers when they’re taking their first steps.
Skate trainers like this one can be massively beneficial for your child when they’re starting out with their new skates.
Keep an eye on their progress with this skate trainer and over time, you can remove the trainer away.
This trainer works for both inline skating and roller skating, but with inline skates, your child can use the inside and outside of the frame to get to grips with their new gear!
- 【PREVENT FALLING WITH 360° STEEL PIPE SAFEGUARD】: The wall thickness of the steel pipe is 1.2mm, and the steel pipe is stable without deformation (Steel pipe diameter is 25mm). The BEARING...
- 【SAVED A LOT OF FALLS】: The YSLRSM Trainer provides 360 degree protection to prevent head or spine injury caused by falling back. It's a protector for learning roller skating, ice skating.
- 【MADE LEARNING TO SKATE A LOT OF FUN】: The Roller Skate Trainer improves self-learning ability for Roller Skate learning without parents’help. With its three legged walker design, your child no...
- 【USE】: The Omni-directional wheel glides synchronously with the roller skating. Can be used as skate trainer for ice skating, skate mate for roller skating, ice skating trainer, skate trainer, ice...
- Use amazing roller skating aids to give your child an unforgettable experience! We provide a series of roller skating assistants aimed at providing height and appearance for people of every age group
The Bottom Line
Buying your child a pair of inline skates is simply the start of the process.
Continue to support them on their skating journey with these accessories and of course, with your own confidence boosts!
© Kids Bike Scoot Skate