While skateboarding can just be for fun, some people want to document their progress or show off their newest trick to a wider audience.
Due to the widespread use of technology in recent years, learning and promoting skateboard tricks through videos have gained in popularity. However, this has also led to a boom in cameras that can be used specifically to film your best skateboarding moments.
With so many options out there, how are you supposed to know which camera to go for? Every camera seems to offer different features, such as different resolutions, battery life variations, or different sizes and weights of the cameras.
This is where we come in. To help you out, we have made a list of the very best cameras that work perfectly for filming skateboarding videos. We will cover all of their specs, and give you their pros and cons, so you can see at a glance if it is the perfect camera for you.
At the end, we have added a buyers guide, so you can know all the essential features that you should keep an eye out for on these cameras.
Let’s get on with the reviews!
If you see yourself as a professional and want high-quality film, the GoPro Hero 9 is an excellent choice. It is a small, compact action camera that promises to capture all of your best tricks in breathtaking clarity.
The Hero 9 features a 20-megapixel lens and 5K resolution. With the webcam, HDR modes, and Super photo settings, you can capture high-resolution images with very little blur, even in low light. The Super view setting on the camera’s digital lenses enables you to shoot ultra-wide shots.
Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction virtually reduces all wind noise. The 23.6-megapixel sensor in Time Warp 3.0 lets you produce smooth time-lapse recordings that automatically adjust their speed in response to lighting, scene recognition, and motion.
This camera also features 8X Slo-Mo and a frame rate of 14.7 megapixels at 1080p, which enables you to shoot gorgeous videos and relive memories slowly. Because of this, your slow-motion skating films will be more detailed and dramatic than they were previously.
In terms of the build, the Hero 9 is a durable camera. It is resistant to corrosion and waterproof to a depth of 33 feet. Compared to previous models of GoPro, this one is a lot smaller and has a stylish design while also being more resistant to damage caused by accidental drops.
The feature that truly distinguishes it from the competition is the hyper-smooth stabilization, which gives the highest level of image and video stabilization compared to all other cameras on this list.
The Hero 9 is the best camera for filming skateboarding. Due to its small size, it may be mounted on a helmet or used as a hand camera if necessary.
Overall, if you’re serious about recording skating, this is the camera to choose.
- Small and lightweight – whether wearing this on your helmet or holding it while filming, this camera won’t weigh you down
- Super durable – not only can this camera survive almost all fall damages, but it is also waterproof, so you can still film in the rain
- Very good image stabilization – your videos will look smooth and sharp, no matter how fast you were staking or how many tricks you have done
- Expensive – this is the only real downside to this camera, but you get what you pay for, so it’s understandable why this camera costs so much as it is just so good
This product is also available at:
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when zooming in
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto, HERO 9 Black can automatically pick all the best image processing for you
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black and a dazzling new front display makes for easy framing and intuitive camera control.Included components:HERO9 Black Camera,Rechargeable Battery,Curved Adhesive Mount,Mounting Buckle,USB-C Cable,Thumb Screw ,Camera Case
- Live Streaming plus Webcam - Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast
- HyperSmooth 3.0 - Experience the ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever
Sony has been one of the top industry leaders in the camera market for years. Though some of their products are rather pricey, they consistently rank at the top of many ‘best of’ lists.
You will never regret investing in a Sony camera for filming and capturing your skateboarding footage and images. The Alpha A6100 is one of the best cameras for this purpose.
The Alpha A6100 has the fastest autofocus (AF) in the world. It comes equipped with object tracking and 0.02-second W/real-time AF. Additionally, the AF zone is rather large, and acquisition is lightning fast.
The AF coverage area has 425 contrast-detection points. You can get a crystal clear image with pinpoint precision, and the built-in algorithm precisely forecasts the subject’s future location as well, so the camera is ready to focus on where the person is in the frame.
Additionally, this camera shoots at a pace of up to 8 frames per second in complete silence. Also, in ordinary shooting mode, it can capture up to 11 frames per second. A burst shot can consist of up to 77 consecutive shots.
Photographing in low light is a difficulty for many photographers. Typically, when used in low light, conventional cameras produce hazy images. The Alpha A6100, on the other hand, includes low-light settings that provide clearer images in even the darkest circumstances.
For crystal clear photos, the Alpha A6100 is one of the best cameras for you to try out.
- Best AF in the world – this ensures that you will get sharp and perfect images every time
- 4K video – this high-resolution video recording feature ensures that your skateboarding videos look perfect
- Can shoot in low light – often low-light pictures look blurry, but the A6100 has a low-light setting that helps to avoid this issue
- Not many features – though it has very good AF, good image quality and stabilization, and can shoot in low-lighting, compared to many other cameras on this list it has relatively few features to help in your videos/photography
This product is also available at:
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 51 200
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting at 24 2MP RAW w/ AF/AE tracking
- Real-time AF Tracking Real-time Eye AF for human and animal
The Canon Vixia is a compact camcorder with a wide range of capabilities. This is a mid-range and capable Handy cam that will let you capture footage of your flashy skating talents.
The camera package includes the camcorder, a large and powerful BP-727 battery pack, an original CA-110 power adapter for quick and safe charging, an HDMI cable for connecting the camcorder to your television for enhanced viewing, and a USB cable for connecting the camcorder to your PC or laptop for data sharing.
The Canon HF R800 camera boasts a rotating 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen that allows you to instantly monitor your capturing frame even when you are immediately in front of the lens. Thanks to the spinning display, selfies may be taken super easily as well.
Additionally, it includes a 57x Advanced Zoom, which enables you to picture distant subjects without losing image quality. This potential is further strengthened by the inclusion of SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, which aids in rapidly correcting camera shake. Even while held, clips may be taken that are quite sharp and stable.
The Vixia captures video in full HD standard definition (1080p) at a frame rate of 60 frames per second. Additionally, you have slow and quick motion video recording, which is less sophisticated than a lot of GoPro devices but still useful.
A somewhat unique but super-useful feature on this camera is the File Lock function that safeguards your data against unintentional operation errors. As well as this, it contains an integrated video editor for on-the-go editing.
While it may struggle in low light, it compensates by providing great picture and video quality throughout the day. Finally, it is small and lightweight, with a large capacity battery that enables you to shoot for extended periods while being cool.
Overall, this is a good choice if you are a rookie or an enthusiast interested in experimenting with skateboarding filming. Whether you install it on a tripod or hold it in your hand while skating, you’re going to have a blast taking pictures.
- File Lock feature – after a long day of filming the last thing you need is your files to become corrupted somehow. The file lock feature gives you an added layer of protection against this
- 57x zoom – this camera can zoom much further than most others, while still giving you super sharp images
- Long battery life – you could use this camera all day without having to stop due to low battery
- Not too expensive – given all the features on this camera, it is relatively cheap
- Doesn’t work in low lighting – you will have to make sure that all of your shots are well lit to get the best pictures/videos
- No 4K video – this means that you will not have the best video quality available, though 1080p is still pretty good
This product is also available at:
- A 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen that is bright and clearly visible, even outdoors in the sun, with rich, natural color reproduction
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps correct camera shake quickly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths can be sharp and steady
- The 57x advanced zoom allows you to create videos with dynamic variety, and is less likely to disrupt the action you're shooting
- High-resolution HD CMOS Image Sensor features extra sensitivity that delivers beautifully lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light
- Turn your VIXIA camcorder into a high-quality webcam using its clean HDMI output
Want to make a cost-effective upgrade from a normal HD camera to an Ultra HD camera? The Akaso EK7000 is the best option for you. This camera comes with many features, including Wi-Fi connectivity and other fantastic capabilities for capturing skateboarding packed into a small and stylish device.
Additionally, the Akaso EK7000 is equipped with a wireless wrist remote. Whether you’re filming individual skate moments or a whole skating film, the 2.4G wrist remote will be useful for timing your shots.
Its 16MP lens ensures exceptional photo quality. The images are in 4K quality and show your images as they look in real life, with no blur or haze to them.
The battery life is also rather amazing. Two 1050 mAh batteries are included, each of which is capable of recording for around one and a half hours.
You’ll have integrated HDMI and internet, allowing you to share your unforgettable memories simply. The free Akaso Go app will aid you in your photography/video endeavors as well.
Whether indoors or outdoors, above or below the water, the Akaso EK7000 is the ideal camera to guarantee that your most treasured moments remain secure and undistorted.
- 4K video – capture all of your best tricks in outstanding quality
- Super long battery life – can record all day with no issue
- Wi-Fi built-in – is very useful for sending your files to others
- Can potentially overheat – while this is not an issue that you will notice straight away, after a year or two of heavy usage the camera begins to have an overheating problem
This product is also available at:
- 4K Ultra HD action camera. Professional 4K 30Fps & 2.7K 30Fps video with 16MP photos at up to 30 frames per second for incredible photos, which is 4 times the resolution of traditional HD cameras.
- Wireless wrist remote control sports camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in an all-new way. Controlling the camera, framing shots or recording video is convenient. (THE REMOTE IS NOT WATERPROOF)
- Longer battery life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. No more worry about the recording time for this Action camera.
- Built-in Wi-Fi & HDMI, edit & share YOUR action in minutes. Just download App(AKASO GO) on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters.
- 100 Feet waterproof camera. AKASO EK7000 is designed to withstand extreme environments, together with durable waterproof case. With the accessories, transform it for indoor and outdoor activities.
When buying a camera specifically for filming/taking photos of your skateboarding tricks, there are a few essential features that you need to look out for.
Here is what you need to keep in mind when buying a camera:
What You Want To Use It For
It is vital to understand your photography/videography goals when choosing a camera to use specifically to record your skateboarding.
For example, if you’re not that serious about learning how to take professional pictures/videos, are a novice, or wish to video skate just for the sake of sharing with friends and family, a mid-range camera should suffice.
If, on the other hand, you have good cinematography knowledge and talents, are actively involved in filming and video editing, and wish to take things to the next level, you should choose a higher-end camera, as it will be a perfect fit for you.
You should also choose a camera that has features that will be useful to you when filming your skateboarding, such as time-lapse, slo-mo, and the ability to take wide-angle shots.
Skateboarding is a fast-paced sport. so, to capture crisp, clear skate videos, a high-definition, well-equipped camera should be chosen. You need one that is capable of capturing stable photos even when the subject moves quickly.
As a result, a camera with a higher frame rate should be selected. The higher the frame rate, the higher the image quality. For example, a camera that shoots at 120 frames per second is preferable to one that shoots at 60 frames per second.
Additionally, higher-quality images enable more accurate shooting. For example, a 4K camera will capture far more data than an HD camera.
As a result, image quality is crucial; the higher the resolution, the better!
Once your needs have been identified, determining your budget is a critical step in picking the best camera for you. Cameras are available at a range of price points, from around $100 to more than $2000.
Budgets should be developed based on requirements. Obviously, a cheaper camera will have fewer features or is not constructed as well, while higher-priced ones will come with far more things and will probably also be a lot more durable.
This is not to argue that the most expensive goods are always the best. However, it draws attention to the reality that high-quality items are not inexpensive.
If you can afford it, go for a reputable camera brand to avoid being deceived by questionable product promises.
© Kids Bike Scoot Skate